University Preparation Program (UP)
Welcome to the University Preparation (UP) program at D&H College. This intensive program is tailored to meet the needs of non-native English speakers, offering advanced language skills and academic preparation essential for success in Canadian university programs. The course, equivalent to English for Academic Purposes (EAP), effectively integrates reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills with a specific emphasis on academic language and study skills. This comprehensive approach ensures that students not only enhance their language proficiency but also develop the critical academic skills required for a successful university journey.
Course Description: The University Preparation is a full-time pathway program designed to prepare students for entry into Canadian colleges and universities. The curriculum emphasizes the development of critical thinking, communication, and writing skills essential for success in a North American university context. This advanced English course covers a range of topics including study skills, language skills, language systems, and writing skills, ensuring a holistic approach to academic preparation.
Prerequisite: To enroll in the UP, students must have successfully completed ESL Level 4 at our college (Level: B2) or demonstrate proficiency with an IELTS score of 6.0, iBT TOEFL score of 80.
Program Learning Outcomes: Upon completion of the UP, students will:
- Develop skills for success in Canadian academic culture and classrooms.
- Enhance language skills in grammar, reading, writing, listening, speaking, and pronunciation.
- Communicate effectively in academic speaking and listening environments, including lectures, seminars, discussions, presentations, and group work.
- Acquire confidence and skills to pursue further studies in a university program.
Course Learning Outcomes: Throughout the course, students will:
- Adapt critical thinking, written, and oral communicative skills required for a North American university context.
- Incorporate researching, critical reading, and writing skills necessary for university assignment construction.
- Implement skills in locating academic and non-academic sources of information relevant to a topic.
- Critique sources and use references with proper citations in both written and oral assignments.
- Compose and review constructive peer feedback on content and structure of written and oral work.
- Devise and employ effective presentation skills for academic assignments.
- Defend ideas and arguments in group discussions, presentations, and written work.
- Evaluate information to promote understanding and clarity.
- Collaborate with peers in presentations, discussions, and feedback.
- Learn APA style of citation for citing different sources in their assignments.
Means of Delivery: The course will be delivered hybrid on campus and asynchronous via Moodle platform.
Assessment and Grading: Student performance will be assessed through ongoing online assessments, participation, summary responses, collaborative literature reviews, and group presentations, each contributing to the overall course grade.
Applicable Policies: Students are expected to adhere to D&H policies, including those related to academic integrity, late assignments, and participation. The grading scale follows D&H standards, with a minimum of 70% needed to pass the program.
For inquiries, contact [email protected]